Community Development is the service delivery department for the Tsleil-Waututh community. We design our services to meet changing needs in the community in:
- Education | Training and Employment | Income Assistance
- siʔáḿθɘt (Pre-kindergarten to Grade 12 Certified School for our Tsleil-Waututh Nation children and youth)
- Early Childhood Education
- Social Development
- Youth, Family and Elder Programs
- Outreach Programs
- Culture and Language
Our overarching goal is to provide opportunities for community members to grow physically, intellectually, emotionally, spiritually and culturally, using a holistic approach. We want to help our members:
- Live healthy, happy lives embedded in our culture—with opportunities for personal growth, education, and health and wellness
- Increase capacity for self-sufficiency and independence
We take a grassroots approach to deliver fair, transparent services to our members, families and the entire community. Our programs respond to priorities identified by the community in our Vision 2020 Comprehensive Community Plan, plus surveys and other feedback mechanisms. We strive to attain the vision of the Nation in all of our work.
We lead on supporting the annual Whey-ah-Wichen Canoe Festival, an annual canoe race based at our traditional village site, Whey-ah-Wichen (Cates Park) in North Vancouver, B.C. As “People of the Inlet,” canoe racing has been embedded in our way of life since time out of mind.