Dear Taxpayers,

Please refrain from in person visits to the Tsleil-Waututh Administration Office for taxation related matters until further notice.

If you need to drop off a cheque or any other documentations, please utilize our 24-hour drop box (no cash please) located at the main entrance.

For any other questions or concerns, please contact us via:

Phone: 604-929-3454 (please ask to speak with someone in the Taxation Office)


We thank you in advance for your cooperation during this difficult time.

Tsleil-Waututh Nation Property Taxation

This information is intended to help residents of Tsleil-Waututh Nation (“TWN”) reserve lands understand how the First Nation property taxation system works. It is intended as a guide only and may change as amendments to the TWN laws are duly executed.

Assessment Q&As

Q: Who assesses the properties on TWN lands?

A: The British Columbia Assessment Authority (“BC Assessment”) has been contracted to assess properties on reserve. BC Assessment uses the guidelines as set out in the Tsleil-Waututh First Nation Property Assessment Law. BC Assessment applies same valuation practices and procedures as are applied off the reserve.

Q: When will I received my assessment notice?

A: BC Assessment will mail your notice to you in early January. For more information refer to BC Assessment website:

Q: Can I appeal my property assessment?

A: Yes. You will find details on how to appeal your assessment on the back of your assessment notice. For more information, please refer to your property assessment notice. Please note, you can only appeal your property assessment, not your property taxes.

Property Tax Q&As

Q: Who sets the tax rate?

A: Tsleil-Waututh Nation has jurisdiction under the First Nations Fiscal and Statistical Management Act (“FSMA”) to levy taxes and therefore has the sole authority to set tax rates. However, TWN has historically adopted the tax rates set annually by the District of North Vancouver.

Q: When are my taxes due?

A: Your property tax payment is due on the first business day in July. The taxation period is from January to December.

Q: How can I pay my taxes?

A: Taxes can be paid in person at the Tsleil-Waututh Nation Administration Office or by mail. We accept cheque, money order, cash, debit card, and credit card (Visa and MaterCard only and subject to a surcharge).We also do monthly instalments pre-payment plan (cheques only). You may also pay your property taxes through online banking if you have a RBC account.

Q: What if I can’t make my full payment by the due date (Penalties and Interest)?

A: 10% penalty is applied to unpaid taxes and unclaimed Home Owner Grant after the close of business on the due date. Unpaid tax balances, including penalties, accrue interest at a rate of 15% annually (1.25% monthly) until the taxes are paid in full.

Q: What about Home Owner Grants?

A: The guidelines for qualification are in accordance to the Provincial Home Owner Grant Program and are outlined on the reverse of your property tax notice. Late application is subject to penalty and interest. You can only apply for the Home Owner Grant until December 31 of the current tax year subject to penalty and interest.

Q: Can I claim my Home Owner Grant online?

A: Eligible homeowners now have the option of claiming the Home Owner Grant ONLINE. For more information and instructions to use the Homeowner Portal and submit your Homeowner Grant Application online, please visit

Q: Do I qualify for a Tax Deferral?

A: Unfortunately no. The Tax Deferral Program is a Provincial program that does not apply on Federal Reserve lands. At this time there is no equivalent program offered by Tsleil-Waututh Nation.

Q: My mortgage company pays my taxes. Can I still get the grant?

A: If your mortgage company pays your property taxes on your behalf you may still qualify for the grant. However, it is still your responsibility to:

  • Complete, sign and return the home owner grant application to the Tsleil-Waututh Nation Administration office by the due date. Do not send your grant application to your mortgage company.
  • Make sure your mortgage company is paying the correct amount, i.e. property taxes minus your eligible home owner grant.

In order to avoid a duplicate payment or late payment penalty, confirm who, you or your mortgage company, is responsible for paying your taxes.

Q: What if I didn’t receive a tax notice?

A: It is the responsibility of all registered owners to pay taxes whether they receive a notice or not. Tax notices are sent out the last week of May. If a notice is not received, contact the Tsleil-Waututh Nation Administration Office for a copy of your tax notice.

Q: Where can I get more information on property taxation?

A: Here are some resources with further information:

First Nations Finance Authority:
First Nations Tax Commission:
First Nations Financial Management Board:

BC Assessment:



Close Menu