*This is a casual, on call position, up to 24h/week*
At TWN School we offer a unique learning program. Our ideal candidates have a passion for teaching and inspire learning in all of our students. We are looking for teachers who are excellent communicators, organizers and collaborators and who make a positive difference in our school. TTOC will be responsible for covering classes of regular classroom teachers, and may also work as resource teachers within the school supporting the learning environment and students. Responsibilities will vary.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teach lessons as directed by a teacher, Principal or Vice-Principal
- Provide teacher on call support as required filling classroom teacher absences on a day-to-day or extended basis.
- Deliver courses/lesson plans to students according to approved curriculum.
- Support Tsleil-Waututh Nation school students
- Implement innovative strategies to teach students using lessons, discussions, audio-visual presentations and field trips and guest speakers as necessary
- Support teachers by working in classrooms with small groups and individual students
- Lead the classroom education team, including education support staff
- Lead and motivate students in activities to promote their physical, mental, and social development, well-being and their school readiness.
- Ensure safety of students and learning environment
- Maintain constant awareness of the needs of students
- Ensure students are actively engaged in their own learning
- Empower students to be responsible and take action
- Accommodate special needs of students
- Support implementation of Individual Education Plans
- Participate as a member of the Community Development team.
- Report to the Vice-Principal and/or Principal
- Perform other assigned duties as required
- A Bachelor of Education Degree
- A valid BC Teaching certificate or eligibility for certification through the BC Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB)
- A valid Teacher Qualification Service (TQS) Category Card.
- Must undergo and successfully pass a Criminal Record Check – vulnerable sector.
Skills, Knowledge, & Abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching.
- Excellent verbal, written, facilitation and organizational skills.
- Displays social-emotional competencies of self-awareness, empathy, flexibility, relationship-building and responsible decision-making.
- Within a collaborative environment, develop a comprehensive understanding of curriculum with the ability to influence instruction, assessment, indigenous education and social-emotional learning practices.
- Ability to implement effective strategies to engage and support academic success for all learners in an inclusive environment
- Experience in designing and applying various assessment techniques to measure and monitor student progress.
- Committed to professional development with a desire to learn and implement new methodologies and strategies to provide a creative, engaged, and inclusive classroom experience.
- Demonstrated ability to apply relevant computer technologies to teaching and learning (For example, Google G Suite for Education).
- Collaborates with students, parents and staff to enhance the school as a learning community.
- Physical activity for outdoor education, physical education, as well as in-class. Need to be able to walk for sustained periods, and able to navigate uneven terrain.
- Manual dexterity required to operate a computer and A/V system.
- May deal with youth who can, from time to time, be demanding and challenging. Must be able to remain patient and committed to teaching, and may have to engage in conflict resolution or crisis management at times.
- May have to manage a number of projects at one time, and may be interrupted frequently to meet the needs of youth and organizations.
- Interacts with community members, employees, management and the general public.
- Noise levels may escalate during activities, events and outings.
- Need to be comfortable being outdoors and leading outdoor activities.
If this role interests you, please click the link below to directly apply.
We appreciate everyone’s interest in the role, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.