*At this time, we are looking for teachers with elementary school experience.*
Reporting to the Vice-Principal, the Teacher provides educational leadership that enables students to learn experientially through direct guided experience using sensory awareness, active participation and nature’s resources. The Educator works in partnership with school staff to create student learning opportunities that align to the BC Curriculum, support educational objectives, augment classroom curricula, and extend academic/social emotional growth. With a focus on the arts and land-based learning, the Experiential Learning Educator creates activities and schedules offsite activities tailored to classroom learning objectives and student IEP goals. The Educator facilitates vocational skills and career development to support self- determination, employment readiness, and improved outcomes for all students.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Designing education curriculum, in collaboration with school staff to enhance student learning;
- Incorporating arts-based education into outdoor adventure opportunities, integrating learning outcomes across subject areas;
- Planning, developing, and implementing offsite learning opportunities for secondary students, based on mutually agreed upon schedule;
- Ensuring all content is culturally appropriate, sensitive and significant. Consulting with community members, community leadership, and elders with regards to culture and language, as necessary
- Leading and supervising learning opportunities, ensuring that a safe learning environment is maintained at all times;
- Compiling and maintaining necessary records and reports for the purpose of maintaining accurate student records and ensuring financial records are kept for program
- Assessing student growth through progress monitoring, as appropriate, in a timely manner for the purpose of assessing student academic progress and educational accountability
- Maintaining appropriate student behavior control and participation in the development and implementation of behavior intervention plans with integrity, when appropriate, for the purpose of classroom management and providing a safe learning environment for all students.
- Maintaining effective communication with students, staff, parents, and administration for the purpose of collaboration and planning.
- Participating in professional growth activities on a yearly basis, including certification maintenance, workshops, in-services, professional reading materials, and/or
other available offerings for the purpose of increasing knowledge and ability to implement interventions with integrity and incorporate best practices.
- Proficiently usingtechnology to communicate, collect and analyze data, and compile reports for the purpose of efficiently reporting information and communicating in a timely manner.
- Utilizing research-based, best practice interventions, programs, and strategies to implement BC curriculum for the purpose of providing an appropriate educational
program for students.
- Creating learning opportunities that will support students to find employment.
- Independently problem-solving, scheduling daily activities, modelling good communication and communicating and working effectively with professional staff and parents.
Documented Evidence of:
- C Professional Certificate of Qualification
- Successful experience in outdoor education curriculum design, program management, risk management, and policy developmentis an asset
- Familiarity with BC Curriculum, with the ability to adapt land-based learning strategies to support learning across the core subject areas
- Experience integrating art and design with land-based learning
- Experience personalizing learning in a multi-age secondary learning environment
- Exemplary behavior management and organizational skills and an ability to develop rapport with students of all ages.
- Experience working in inclusive environments supporting learning for all students
- Must undergo and successfully pass a Criminal Record Check – vulnerable sector.
Documented Evidence of:
- Experience and/or Post-Secondary Education and training in Indigenous Education
- Collaborative approach to working with colleagues and a commitment to work on team goals for the improvement of student achievement
- Ability to respond with flexibility, commitment, and good humor to a wide range of changes and challenges
- Self-motivated, with a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Commitment to professional growth
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent organizational and time management skills;
- Creative, adventurous and strong teaching skills;
- Commitment to high standards of professionalism and academic excellence.
- Sensitivity and empathy;
- Curiosity and desire to learn about and teach in alignment with First Nation culture.
- Excellent classroom management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to listen well and communicate effectively both orally and in writing with discretion, tact, courtesy, and professionalism;
- Ability to build strong relationships with students, staff, parents and the community;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and get along well with others;
- Ability to work independently with demonstrated initiative;
- Dependable and reliable.
- Comfortable working with students and adults, all ages and abilities, in all weather conditions.
- Willing and able to work a physically demanding position and available to work occasional evenings, overnights and weekends.
- May deal with children and youth who can, from time to time, be demanding and challenging. Must be able to remain patient and committed to teaching, and may have to engage in conflict resolution or crisis management at times.
- May have to manage a number of projects at one time, and may be interrupted frequently to meet the needs of children and youth and organizations.
- Interacts with community members, employees, management and the general public.
- Noise levels may escalate during activities, events and outings.
- Weather and conditions in the outdoors are unpredictable and can be wet, cold, uncomfortable, and dangerous
If this role interests you, please click the link below to directly apply.
Or, send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com
We appreciate everyone’s interest in the role, however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. This position will be open until filled. Thank you.