Note: This position is a 6-month Term, with a possibility of extension.
Reporting to Financial Controller, the Senior Accountant is responsible for reconciliation, journal entries, month end closing and reporting with precision and timeliness. Further duties include capital assets tracking, preparing annual audit working papers and supporting continuous improvement of systems and processes in the finance department. The Senior Accountant must comply with established policies and procedures.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Perform monthly accounting activities, including standard and adjusting journal entries;
• Analyze accounting records for discrepancies and issues to ensure timely investigation and correcting entries;
• Review all inter-company transactions to ensure timely fund transfer;
• Perform monthly and quarterly account reconciliations to ensure accurate reporting and ledger maintenance;
• Reconcile balance sheet items;
• Prepare bank and loan reconciliations;
• Prepare capital asset and depreciation schedules;
• Monitor cash flows and revenue streams to ensure funds are received and accrued according to signed agreements or contracts;
• Responsible for accurate and timely monthly financial statements preparation;
• Proactively collaborating with other business functions to resolve accounting issues;
• Responsible for statutory reposting including GST reporting;
• Supervise payroll activities;
• Responsible for payroll remittance, WCB remittance, T4 and Record of Employment;
• Prepare annual audit working papers;
• Support preparation of financial planning and analysis including annual budgets, forecasts, performance measures and variance reports;
• Supervise payables and receivables;
• Support continuous improvement by identifying opportunities for efficiencies and improvements;
• Support financial system implementation and integration with other related systems;
• Support special projects;
• Perform ad hoc analysis as required.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP/SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Supervise the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable functions.
• University degree in Accounting or related discipline;
• CPA designation;
• Minimum 3 years of related post designation experience in an accounting position;
• Full cycle accounting experience;
• Advanced experience with accounting systems and excel;
• Experience with Xyntax would be an asset;
• Experience working in Aboriginal communities and/or organizations preferred;
• Successful criminal records check.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Strong understanding of accounting practices;
• Strong communication skills, written and verbal;
• Strong analytical skills;
• Superior attention to detail;
• Work independently as well as in a team environment to manager priorities and meet deadlines;
• Proven work ethic with utmost integrity;
• Self-motivated, passionate, empathetic, approachable;
• Basic knowledge of First Nations and Indigenous culture and community an asset.
Most of the time is spent in a sitting position with frequent opportunity to move about.
This role requires the ability to manage a number of requests and situations at one time.
Stress may be caused by tight deadlines, the variety of tasks and the volume of the workload at certain times of the year.
The Senior Accountant may find the environment to be busy, noisy and will need excellent organizational and time and stress management skills to complete the required tasks.
WHY WORK FOR TSLEIL-WAUTUTH NATION?
Training and career development
Business casual office
Community fitness & gym access