Work under the direction of the Tsleil-Waututh Child and Family Development Centre’s manager and in cooperation with the staff, to provide nutritious snacks and maintain a clean and safe environment and supporting the Early Childhood Educators with childcare duties when needed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the floor when needed
- Play a leading role in supporting any celebration
- Prepare and maintain a weekly snack menu that is appropriate for Infants, Toddlers and preschoolers.
- Prepare and complete a weekly grocery list that fits within the set budget
- Prepare lunches that parents have provided in a safe and sterile way
- Provides meals and snacks daily by preparing food for immediate or future serving in compliance with health regulations; assists in serving meals to children, when required.
- Maintains food and kitchen household supplies by receiving and storing deliveries in hygienic and organized conditions and monitoring stock; rotates food stock to ensure quality; keeps accurate stock control for record-keeping purposes.
- Demonstrates care and interest in children; encourages a positive attitude towards food and nutrition; may assist with supervision of children at meal times.
- Communicates daily with teaching staff concerning attendance, special needs, special events, outings and changes in schedule and accommodates whenever possible; evaluates meals and snacks with teaching staff.
- Prepare morning and afternoon snack
- Maintain a log book containing schedule of duties, menus, recopies, and any other pertinent information for a substitute
- Ensure the dishwasher is loaded and unloaded on a daily basis
- Check the washer and dryer and run a load of laundry daily
- Organize and maintain cleanliness of laundry room weekly
- Disinfect tables before and after meals/snacks and ensure overall cleanliness
- Sweep floors after meal/snack time and wipe up any possible spills
- Disinfect infant and toddler chairs daily
- Disinfect pre-school chairs weekly
- Disinfect toys with other staff members
- Managing recycling/composting
- Bleach kitchen countertops and kitchen gate
- Bleach in and out of the kitchen cupboards
- Sweep and mop under fridges and 1 stove
- Clean inside/outside/top of stove and fridge once a week
- Tidy and wipe down bathrooms daily
- Willingness to obtain certification as a Responsible Adult under the BC Child care regulations
- A completed immunization record, flu vaccination and tuberculosis test
- Valid Food Safe or First Aid certificates an asset
- A successful Criminal Record Check for vulnerable populations
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Reflective in practice and willing to learn new skills
- Self-motivated and proactive when dealing with conflicts.
- Above average ability to work independently, multi-task, time management, organizational skills
- Implement a problem-solving approach with practical solutions when faced with difficult situations.
- Ability to be adaptable to change in varied situations.
- Being flexible and supportive to the team
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of the Tsleil-Waututh Child & Family Development Centre Family Handbook.
- Knowledge of First Nations cultures and backgrounds is an asset.
- Knowledge of chemical safety in household cleaning products
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; reach and lift. Must be able to lift up to 15 kgs and move/react quickly to ensure the safety of children.
- This role requires the ability to manage a number of requests and situations at one time.
- The work environment is active and noise levels vary from quiet to loud.
- Indoor and outdoor activities.
- Although the Centre is air conditioned the kitchen is the hottest room in the Centre and any applicant must be able to work effectively in temperature up to 20 degrees Celsius.
- Must be able to physically engage with children under 6 years old.
- Exposure to chemicals in household cleaning products
- Risk of burns from ovens, microwaves and/or pots
- Exposure to soiled linen
If this role interests you, please click the link below to directly apply.
Or send your Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate everyone’s interest in the role, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.