STATUS: Term, Full-time (1 yr.)
Working under the direction of the Public Works Director, the Project Management Technician is responsible for two key aspects of on-reserve land development projects:
- Construction management (civil & structural) record keeping, and
- Construction inspections to ensure construction activities meet the applicable designs and standards, and the works are executed in a timely and cost effective manner.
The Project Management Technician will be working in a fast-paced environment and must be detail-oriented and comfortable partnering with and leading cross-functional business and technical teams. The job will also include construction and record-keeping.
- Post-secondary education in civil / building technology or related discipline, or a combination of education & experience resulting in a CTech, or ASCT designation.
- In-field construction experience in civil and residential construction.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage workloads and Contractors.
- Sound knowledge of workplace health and safety requirements and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage work related records and reports.
- Understanding of financial management, budgeting and cost management.
- Time management skills.
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Cognizant of differences between local, provincial and First Nation governance practices.
- Must successfully pass a criminal record check.
- Must have a class 5 driver’s license.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops and executes effective record keeping, permit issuance, and budget management.
- Oversee planning, budgeting, permit fee collections.
- Issues building, harvesting, business, and other permits.
- Liaise with contractors installing and repairing civic infrastructure on reserve lands.
- Assists Director in the development of housing, and civil infrastructure repair & maintenance budgets.
- Monitors work to ensure compliance with approved plans; reports variances and works collaboratively to resolve departures from approved plans.
- Provides support to teams and motivates internal and external crews to achieve project goals.
- Ensures key performance indicators are in place and targets are met.
- Ensure jobsite compliance with industry safety standards and organizational policies, procedures, and ethical standards.
- Coordinates activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities and evaluating progress.
- Monitors developments related to building permitting, public works and utility matters, evaluates their impact on community operations, and implements policy and procedures to enable field crews, trades, and contractors to operate efficiently.
- Oversees contractors, consultants and contract employees as required.
- Plans, administers, and monitors project budgets.
- Prepares reports and recommendations as directed by the Director of Public Works.
- Keeps up-to-date on latest technologies in building and civil construction.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Ensures accurate and timely communications and reporting.
- Identifies issues that impact project scope & quality, milestones, budget & resource requirements; closely manages and reports on the critical issues that affect the critical path and the risks of assigned projects.
- Coordinates, tracks and monitors the status of key documentation pertaining to project approvals, construction and inspections.
- Keeps records of plans, permits and work activities.
- Acts as a liaison with Community members and relevant internal and external bodies.
- Participates in the training and mentoring staff on construction practices.
- Perform other related duties.
Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
- Proven track record of successfully delivering on projects.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, as well as ability to utilize quantitative and qualitative problem-solve skills.
- The ability to work alone and take a lead when hurdles arise or when tasks require completion.
- Project Management.
- Ability and willingness to learn.
- Punctual, reliable and excellent attendance record.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Practical skills in using and maintaining hand and power equipment and tools.
- Good level of physical fitness and stamina.
- Skilled in analyzing data and interpreting drawings and specifications.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet close deadlines.
- Ability to determine when a problem needs to be elevated to a Director.
- Perform effectively in an environment with frequent workload changes and competing demands.
- Ability to provide detailed and comprehensive strategic advice.
- Attention to detail, high degree of accuracy with strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge of and experience within Tsleil-Waututh or another First Nation culture will be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of legal codes, building code, government regulations, etc. related to public works and residential construction.
- Working knowledge on reading site plans and construction drawings.
- Knowledge of relevant safety codes and regulations.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Outlook and Excel).
- Knowledge of budgets as related to construction management.
- May involved significant desk work with long periods of manual dexterity activities (keyboard operations, filing).
- Work in an outdoor environment in variable weather conditions.
- Must remain calm, professional, objective, and constructive, even when faced with hostility.
- Stress may be caused by the need to complete tasks within tight deadlines.
- Work independently in the office or in the field.
- Engagement with other departments, levels of government and First Nations.
- Dynamic environment with multiple demands and constant interruptions.
- Sensitive legal, confidential and political issues and environment.
- Occasional work outside normal office hours.
If you are interested in this position, please click on this link to apply (#1005 -Term)
– Please note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your interest. –