Under the direction of the Language Manager, the Language Officer is responsible for facilitating Hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and/or Sníchim language lessons to Tsleil-Waututh community members, organizing language and cultural activities and when required attend cultural and ceremonial events.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaching Hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and/or Sníchim to Tsleil-Waututh Nation community members using the “Where are your keys” (WAYK) language teaching methods.
- Participate as an engaged collaborative member of the Language Team.
- Must be willing to learn Hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and/or Sníchim language and culture with the language team and or outside individuals/groups
- Develop teaching material and curriculum related to Hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and/or Sníchim language and culture as required
- Assist with classroom set up as required
- Attend cultural and ceremonial events as required
- Help organize and support language and/or cultural activities
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of “Where are your keys” (WAYK) language teaching methods.
- Previous experience teaching Hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and/or Sníchim to Tsleil-Waututh Nation community members.
- Previous experience working with Tsleil-Waututh Nation children and community.
- Willingness to expand on Hən̓q̓əmin̓əm and/or Sníchim and WAYK skills.
- Ability to take direction and work with a team and independently.
- Reliable, punctual and able to communicate effectively.
- Ability to keyboard using the Hən̓q̓əmin̓əm̓ and/or Sníchim orthography (international phonetic alphabet) is an asset.
- Must successfully pass a Criminal Records Check.
- Required to stand, walk and/or sit for extended periods of time.
- Must synthesize complex and diverse information.
- Must remain calm, professional, objective, and constructive
- Interacts with youth, employees, management and the general public.
- Noise levels may escalate during activities, events and outings.
If this role interests you, please click on the link below
Or, send your Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate everyone’s interest in the role, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you.