The Infant/Toddler Early Childhood Educator works under the direction of the Manager, Tsleil-Waututh Nation Child and Family Development Centre and in cooperation with staff to provide quality, inclusive child care and family support services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure the Infant/Toddler program meets all requirements of the Child Care Licensing Regulations on a daily bas
- Adhere to the Child and Family Development Centre’s philosophy and Schedule D&G of the Child Care Licensing Regulation
- Building a curriculum that is developmentally appropriate for children under 3.
- Prepare activity documentation to support childcare learning
- Cooperate with management and staff to individualize the curriculum and family services.
- Ensure guidance of children that encourages positive self-esteem.
- Ensure positive communications with parents/guardians.
- Contribute to the on-going operation of the Centre.
- Facilitate a respectful conflict resolution process when dealing with difficult staff and parent/guardian issues.
- Implement a problem solving approach with practical solutions when faced with difficult situations.
- Maintain a neat, orderly and clean environment in all activity and program areas.
- Maintain confidentiality of all information related to the Centre, staff, children and their families.
- Encourage potty training and/or change diapers when needed.
- Supervising while children are eating and bottle feeding
- Ensure that children are safe at all times and recognize children who are potentially at risk and take appropriate action.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Early Childhood Educator Certificate and Infant/Toddler License to Practice.
- Bachelors’ degree in related field is an asset.
- Previous experience of 1 year working with children in a child care/recreation settin
- Valid First Aid/CPR Certificate.
- Up-to-date record of immunizations and tuberculosis test.
- Statement from a medical practitioner indicating adequate physical and psychological capability to work with children and carry out assigned duties.
- Willingness to participate in work-related courses, seminars and training as require
- Must maintain regular attendance and be flexible to accommodate changing schedules.
- Previous experience working in a First Nations community and/or organization is an asset.
- Must successfully pass a Criminal Records Check – Vulnerable Populations.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Self-motivated and proactive when dealing with conflicts.
- Above average ability to work independently, multi-task, time management, organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Anticipates and is consistently responsive and responsible to address issues and concerns at work.
- Ability to mentor and coach peers.
- Ability to be adaptable to change in varied situations.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of the Tsleil-Waututh Child & Family Development Centre Family Handbook.
- Knowledge of early childhood development, observation and assessment.
- Understanding of early childhood curriculum, assessment, evaluation and reporting.
- Knowledge of First Nations cultures and backgrounds is an asset.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; reach and lift. Must be able to lift up to 15 kgs and move/react quickly to ensure the safety of children.
- Must be able to get down to the child’s level and be on the floor.
- Mental Demands
- This role requires the ability to manage a number of requests and situations at one time.
- Environmental Conditions
- The work environment is active and noise levels vary from quiet to loud.
- Indoor and outdoor activities.
- Risk of illness or infection from changing diapers, cleaning body fluids and performing first aid etc.
Why Work with Us?
Training and career development
Business casual office
Community fitness & gym access
Comprehensive group benefits plan & pension plan
How to Apply
If you are interested in this role, please click on this Link – ECE Infant Toddler (#1014) to apply.