Under the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Council Secretariat is responsible for organizing Council meetings, preparing agenda and meeting materials, meeting minute-taking and distribution, maintaining Council files and general administrative tasks.
- Diploma in Office Administration, Business or equivalent.
- Legal Assistant experience an asset.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience.
- May consider alternate combinations of education and relevant work experience.
- Experience handling sensitive and confidential information and matters in a trusted and responsible manner
- Willingness to participate in work-related courses, seminars and training as require
- Previous experience working in a First Nations community and/or organization is preferred
- Must successfully pass a Criminal Records Check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare and update Council biographical profiles, including images.
- Organize both regularly scheduled and special Council meetings.
- Prepare and keep a yearly Council calendar.
- Prepare meeting agenda for CAO review and approval.
- Coordinate logistics for Council meetings – book meeting space, etc.
- Inform Council members and CAO of meeting details.
- Send message to Directors and staff to provide deadline date and time to submit agenda items for Council review or decisions.
- Prepare Council meeting materials, including information from Directors/staff, Community Request forms, Decision Documents, Briefing Notes, presentations, meeting minutes, BCR’s, event invites for Council and include any other material at the request of the CAO or Council.
- Email all meeting materials to Council and CAO.
- Complete Decision Document form, review with CAO for approval, provide a copy to the presenter or staff member and scan to Council Drive for record keeping.
- Prepare Band Council Resolutions at the request of the CAO, add BCR number and have Council sign (quorum 3 signatures).
- Maintain Council BCR and Decision Document files.
- Perform follow-up activities resulting from Council meetings, including transcribing and distributing minutes.
- Ensure all meeting agendas, materials, meeting minutes, council books and other related documents are filed chronologically and archived properly to ensure easy reference and rapid retrieval of information
- Maintain Council meeting summaries for public display.
- Prepare travel schedules, book travel arrangements and make reservations on behalf of Council.
- May be required to attend external meetings and events as directed by the Chief.
- Keep all information strictly confidential.
- Supporting other departmental needs as required.
- Perform other related duties as required.
SKILLS, ABILITIES & KNOWLEDGE:
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office – Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel, and experience with publishing software.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with Chief and Council, membership and staff at all levels
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy with a commitment to high quality work
- Demonstrated information, records and data management skills and abilities
- Excellent communication skills – oral, written, proof reading
- Ability to be organized, prioritize, and demonstrate competency to handle multiple tasks and deadlines.
- Significant desk work with long periods of sitting and manual dexterity activities (keyboard operations).
- Lifting or moving audio visual equipment, supplies or materials up to 25lbs may be required.
- Ability to take direction and occasionally work under pressure.
- Able to maintain a constructive, flexible, open, cooperative demeanor.
- Must model adherence to established systems and processes.
- Ability to work independently, change focus quickly, and pick up new tasks with minimal instruction.
- Dynamic environment with multiple demands, changing priorities and interruptions.
- Handle highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Engagement with membership, staff, management and external contacts.
- Occasional evening and weekend hours.
Why Work with Us?
Training & Career Development
Business Casual office, Community Fitness & Gym Access
Comprehensive Group Benefits & Pension Plans
How To Apply:
Click the link below to visit the web page and directly apply.
We appreciate everyone’s interest, however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Thank you.