Our TWN Economic Development team manages economic development activities for the Tsleil-Waututh Nation to:
- Develop new and existing business opportunities and partnerships that provide economic growth for the community
- Ensure our business partners understand TWN’s values and objectives
- Strategize new ways to increase business profits and services
- Ensure all business activities are consistent with the overall goals set for the community by our Chief and Council
We practice business in a way that strikes a balance between TWN economic development objectives and preserving Tsleil-Waututh values and territory. We collaborate with our TWN Lands and Resources colleagues on projects and partnerships that involve land use in TWN traditional territory.
We develop relationships and protocol agreements to enhance cultural understanding and work with companies to help them build First Nations procurement policies and capacity in their organizations.
Each TWN business has a team of exceptional staff members, with extensive traditional and contemporary expertise. Ultimately, the main focus of each business is to strengthen our community—through capacity building, generating revenue for the nation, and providing training and employment opportunities for community members.
In addition, we use some of our own source revenues to help improve quality of life for our community; for example, to:
- Build the gymnasium
- Supplement elders’ pensions
- Construct homes for our families
- Support health, education, and other community programs